Extended Diploma in Business Exam Board: Pearson
Welcome to BTEC level 3 Business studies at Stepney Green School.
BTEC qualifications are designed to provide highly specialist, work-related qualifications in a range of vocational sectors. The qualification gives leaners the knowledge and understanding and skills they need to prepare for employment. On successful completion of BTEC level 3 qualifications, a learner can progress to or within education and/or continue their study in the same or related vocational area.
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business is an Applied General qualification. It is for post-16 learners who want to continue their education through applied learning and who aim to progress to higher education and ultimately to employment in the business sector. The qualification is equivalent in size to three A Levels, and it has been designed as a full two-year programme.
The content of this qualification has been developed in consultation with academics to ensure that it supports progression to higher education. In addition, employers and professional bodies have been involved and consulted in order to confirm that the content is appropriate and consistent with current practice for learners planning to enter employment directly in the business sector. The qualification gives learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the business sector that will prepare them for further study or training
Extended Diploma (1080 Credits)
Equivalent in size to three A Levels.
13 units of which 7 are mandatory and 4 are exams.
Key topics in business:
- Business environments
- International business
What could this qualification lead to?
The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as contributing to meeting admission requirements to many relevant courses, for example:
- BSc (Hons) in Business and Management
- BA (Hons) in Business and Finance
- BA (Hons) in Business with Human Resource Management
- BA (Hons) and BSc(Hons) in Business Studies
- BSc (Hons) in International Management
- BSc (Hons) or BA (Hons) in Marketing
- BSc (Hons) in Retail Management.
How does the qualification provide employability skills?
In the BTEC National units there are opportunities during the teaching and learning phase to give learners practice in developing employability skills. Where employability skills are referred to in this specification, we are generally referring to skills in the following three main categories:
- Cognitive and problem-solving skills: use critical thinking, approach non-routine problems applying expert and creative solutions, use systems and technology
- Intrapersonal skills: communicating, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation
- Interpersonal skills: self-management, adaptability and resilience, self-monitoring and development.
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade 4 including English (Language or Literature) and Maths at grade 4 and above